Wednesday, June 25, 1980

Visit to Small Village on Sohot

Lohutok, Sudan

This morning I went up to the village on Sohot, the nearest hill to our southwest. It seems to have fewer fences dividing the compounds than does Lohutok, the main village. I did not notice any cassava or ochra either. There was a goat pen on the edge of the village. I walked to some goat pens to the southwest of the village. There were some kids (of the goat type) there, but the rest were out grazing. I think some cattle are also kept in some of the pens judging from the manure. When I was there, a child came from Lohutok and got a bowl full of cow dung. I don't know what it was for.

Below: View from Sohot.  
Photo by Irina Balytsky, October 2010, http://sitwiththepoor.blogspot.com/ 

Samuel, Kristine and I had another language lesson today. I have learned a vocabulary of nearly forty words so I feel I am making some progress, but I have a long way to go. The grammar is going to be harder to find help with than the vocabulary.

This afternoon I planted onions and carrots next to the Arensen's house. I also dug some depressions around the small citrus trees that are started around the house. I made some shallow ditches and small ridges to direct runoff to the trees. I hope this speeds up their growth. It is a way to provide some extra water to them without extra labor. At least doing such things make me feel more useful. According to my books, citrus should do fairly well here. It will only yield seasonally but that is better than nothing. Irrigation for year around production would likely be much too expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment