Sunday, June 8, 1980

Visit to Game Park

Nairobi, Kenya

This morning, I went to the youth services at Nairobi Baptist Church. I taped the music which was good even though I was disappointed they used American type songs. The British pastor exposited from Ephesians 4. He was a very good speaker.

This afternoon we went to the game preserve just outside Nairobi. It was beautiful. The forest had monkeys, baboons and birds. The savannah looked as if it stretched forever to the mountains. The rolling green grass was occasionally interrupted by an acacia tree. On the savannah we saw many giraffes. They are very graceful animals. The cheetahs we saw absolutely refused to stand up for a photo. The gazelle (Thompson’s and Grant’s) were all over in herds. We saw some small hyraxes. There were ostriches and vultures. We saw a large herd of water buffalo. We found a rhino with a calf. We stopped near it until it acted as if it were going to charge our Land Rover. I think I got some good pictures of it. We saw a hippo in a muddy pool of water. The sun set over the mountains as we drove across the savannah. We saw giraffes silhouetted against the skyline in the dusk. I felt as if I had walked into the pages of a novel. Other animals we saw were impala, wildebeest and marabou stork.

Below: A babboon


Below: A monkey.

Below: An ostrich.

Below: Giraffe.

Below: A rhino and her young one.


This evening we listened to my tape “Roar of Love” by Second Chapter of Acts. Then we went to the Serena Hotel for a late dessert.

I wrote a letter to Dad and Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment