Monday, June 23, 1980

Thoughts About Training I Need and About Local Innovators

Lohutok, Sudan
 
Today was a "mechanical skills" day.  I took the tire off the Land Rover (with the help of Samuel, Elijah, "Saudi Arabia" and another guy).  I patched the tube.  I also put a new tube in Kristy's bicycle tire.  Kristy is the daughter of Lanny and Janis Arensen.  I also planted lettuce on a little plot by Arensen's house.  I did some welding several days ago.  I really appreciate my farm background which gave me many skills.  Sometimes I think it would be good to have some auto-mechanics or engine repair type training.  But I also want more training in first-aid, language, language acquisition techniques, agronomy, animal science, theology and Bible.  I think I will either have to go to school forever or do some self-training on the job or in my spare time.  I wonder sometimes about my motivations for such broad training.  Could it be that I just like the feeling of being self-sufficient and not imposing on anyone for anything?  How does that fit in with the model of "community" set by the early church?  How does it fit in with the Apostle Paul's supporting himself so as not to be a burden even though he had the right as an apostle to demand support?

Michael has a garden just south of the mission buildings.  He was hoeing it today in preparation for planting some tomatoes.  I think he also wants to get some onion seeds.  I suppose he is more susceptible to our "foreign" influence than most people.  He works at the clinic with Martha and is in Theological Education by Extension (TEE) classes.  He is an elder in the church.  The people who have expressed to me an interest in innovation (Josiah, Michael and Daniel) all have had some outside exposure and a source of income other than agriculture.

No comments:

Post a Comment