Wednesday, July 2, 1980

Recalcitrant Land Rover

Lohutok, Sudan
This morning, I marked out where my hut is to be.  The men already have several poles ready for it.  Samuel McConnell (builder of clinics and missionary houses) took a crew of men to Imehejek this morning.  The Land Rover did not want to start.  I checked the spark and it was alright.  Then I disconnected the air cleaner and looked at the carburetor.  When I held my hand over the carburetor and left only a small opening for air while Samuel ran the starter, it started.  I guess it needed to be choked harder than the choke would choke it.  It gave no more problems for the rest of the day.  I adjusted the idle when they got back.
I spent the morning at the Lohutok children's clinic gathering data.  I do not know how good the weight data is.  It shows a big problem of underweight children this time of year.  That is almost certainly partly due to bias caused by a higher turnout of sick than of healthy children.  I need to gather more data later in the year to see if there are changes.
Photo: Nurse Martha Hughell talks with some women outside Lohutok clinic

  
This afternoon, a missionary from Katiri or Katire.  (I am unsure of the spelling.)  She wants to pick up some stuff from tomorrow's plane.  She used to work here at Lohutok.

No comments:

Post a Comment