Thursday, July 3, 1980

Death in Imehejek

Lohutok, Sudan

Today was an interesting day full of surprises which, if not all pleasant, were at least very thought provoking.

I drove Martha to Imehejek this morning.  Michael, David and Esyiak  went along to help.  We brought enough measles vaccine for 120 children.  There was a big turnout, so they used all the vaccine by about 1:00 pm.  I imagine their half day of work prevented a measles epidemic in Imehejek.  Our plan to go on to Mura and vaccinate more children was cancelled because we had no more vaccine.

While the others were giving vaccinations, I spent a little time looking at gardens near the village.  A woman motioned me to follow her.  She led me to her hut.  Her husband motioned me to follow him into the hut.  I got down on my belly and went through the eighteen inch high door into the hut.  Inside was a man who seemed in great pain.  I tried to tell them that I could not help but that I would bring one of the medical people.  I went back and talked to Martha.  She told me to take David with me.  When we got there, the women had already started the death wail.  We looked in and the man was still breathing weakly, but he soon stopped breathing.  A man in the hut raised the dead man to show that his head flopped back, thus proving he was dead.  I felt so helpless watching him die.  Things like that and the sick children I see make me think the unspoken requirement that a thesis have much data is a superfluous requirement in a place like this.  Isn't it enough that children are losing weight, getting measles and dying to get a health program started?  If people are starving, must their weights be documented before help is sent?  I've seen people die.  I've seen children hanging onto life by a thread.  I've talked with farmers and seen their resources and problems.  Why must I document things when I can so easily see what must be done?
 
We started home, but the Land Rover's engine was missing very badly.  It did not have enough power to get through the first dry river, so we had to half-push, half-drive it out of the river and back to Imehejek.  We sent Esyiak ahead and started walking after we had parked the Land Rover.  We walked for about 3 hours, perhaps 10 miles.  We got well past Iboni when Thelma met us in her Suzuki with water.  She then took us the rest of the way back to Lohutok.

Photo:  Road crosses dry river bed  

 
It was good that we had to walk.  It gave me a better appreciation of how the Lotuko feel when they do all their walking.  It also gave me a better view of the country than I get from the Land Rover.
 
When we got to Lohutok, we found that the plane had come.  Lanny Arensen had come on it, as expected.  But Marcia Orner had also come.  She was not expected for another month or two.  She is a young nurse.  I think it will be good to have help for Martha.
 
The plane brought mail, including letters from Mom and Dad and from several friends at Cornell.  I wrote letters to Dad and Mom and some of my friends.  The plane is our only way of getting mail in and out.  It arrives one afternoon and leaves the next morning.  Everyone hurries to read their mail and get answers written in time for the plane's departure.

No comments:

Post a Comment